As of now, I will no longer be watching TV for frivolous reasons. That means, I will only watch Jon & Kate + 8, Design Star, Gossip Girl, Private Practice, Grey's Anatomy, and House. Currently only Jon & Kate and Design Star are on, so that is 1.5-2 hours of TV/week (depending on Jon & Kate episode length). Also, most of the other shows are available online for viewing, so I will watch those shows online. Doing that 1) saves time because there are no commercials, and 2) prevents TV from controlling me as I can choose when I watch something, and if I want to watch it in more than one session, that is possible too.
I also got rid of 10 shirts from my closet that I don't wear anymore. Look for a post before I move showing how much stuff I will be getting rid of (or donating, trying to sell, whatever)!
My newly found free time will not be used playing video games but instead reading. Also, perhaps there will be some exercising in the form of bicycling sometime soon, if I can get a working bike.
Reading list:
The Problem of Pain
A Grief Observed
Mere Christianity
The Great Divorce
Miracles
Blue Like Jazz - Donald Miller
The Gun Seller - Hugh Laurie
interspersed with Critique of Pure Reason - Kant (I say interspersed because apparently this is some really tough stuff!)
My room feels so much bigger and more peaceful without the TV in it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I have a television but I never watch it. Once in a blue moon, I get on a movie kick and re-watch about four or five of the DVDs that I own. Over and over again.
I opted for a gym membership instead of cable. That's how much I don't miss television.
This is not, of course, to say that I don't have a vice.
I do.
In fact, I'm on it right now.
Haha, I wonder what those four or five DVDs are? Favorite movies?
I like watching movies. So I will still do that. :D
Okay. I checked. The last five were:
1. Elizabeth (Viewed once.)
2. Finding Neverland (Viewed multiple times.) (Love Kate Winslet.) (Oh, and that Depp guy.)
3. Chocolat (Viewed two consecutive times: once without subtitles, once with.) (Long-ish story.)
4. Stranger Than Fiction (Viewed multiple times.)
5. Shakespeare in Love (Viewed once, I think...and mostly with the sound on mute because Aaron called while I was watching it.)
So yeah. There you go.
Of those, I'd say Finding Neverland and Stranger Than Fiction fall into the favorite "Favorites" category.
Post a Comment