Saturday, July 5, 2008

apple makes me really, really angry

So, I wrote Steve Jobs an email. Let's hope something good happens. I may call the apple phone support people back and try to talk to their manager and tell that that is is an acknowledged problem that should be repaired for free.

Dear Mr. Jobs or whomever it is that reads his email,

I have a macbook (and an ipod and if I didn't have a two-year contract with verizon I would get an iphone) and it likes to randomly restart itself when I shut it. I took it to an apple store (the one in Easton Town Center in Columbus, Ohio) and they did some various updates, reinstalled the operating system, and replaced the battery. They said that should fix it, but it didn't. I use my macbook for taking notes in class, checking my email - just normal things - and it is very inconvenient to have it randomly restarting sometimes five or more times a day.

I went back in to the apple store, and they said that it would have to be sent in for repairs. I didn't want to pay $50 for them to back up my hard drive, so I did it myself, and then called apple phone support to hve them send me a box so I could send in my beloved macbook for repair. The man at phone support said that normally they could fix the problem my computer has at the store. It was strange that nobody at the apple store told me it would cost a ton of money to fix my macbook. It was also strange that nobody knew what the problem was, beside me. I did some googling and found out that this is a logic board problem (not that I know what that means) and the guy on the phone said that a new logic board costs something like $600.

Apple released a firmware update to fix this problem but it doesn't work.

http://pentangle.net/macbook/ <--- this guy and many other people seem to have the same problem.
http://www.appledefects.com/wiki/index.php?title=MacBook#Random_shutdowns

I am just sad that my macbook is broken, and disappointed at the poor service that I've received, and disappointed in apple for making me pay for a problem that isn't mine.

Oh, and I am very gentle with my macbook because I love it, but the plastic around the edges cracked recently. I think it is right of me to expect that with normal use, a computer should not be cracking after just one year! The cracked case is also a problem for other macbook users: http://www.appledefects.com/wiki/index.php?title=MacBook#Cracking_Cases. Please see the attachment for a photo of my cracked case.

I really never regretted making the switch to apple products (over windows) until lately, with this whole misadventure. I would really prefer to not have to switch back, and to not have to get a new laptop.

Sincerely,

Kirsi S.

1 comment:

Jim said...

Yah! Suck it Steve Jobs!