Tuesday, July 1, 2008

this is for class

Three Objects

一

I have a blue mini-umbrella. Thankfully, considering it's been raining on and off all morning. I've had it since 2004 or 2005, or maybe 2003. That's a long time ago, for me at least. In 2003 I was a high school freshman living in Japan. That's a long way off from being a college senior leaving for grad school in thirty days.

For a while it was sitting the coat closet in my family's house entryway. It's not a small closet behind a door, but a nice big closet with two, maybe 4 feet long each, wooden sliding doors. There are all sorts of things in there, like Titleist Pro VI golf balls with my name on them in blue in. Dozens of them. There's the vacuum cleaner and it's hose, that connects to some central vacuum bag, I guess. There are also beach towels and beach bags.

Then there are tens of mini-umbrellas. My four siblings and step-mother, whom I call my mother, are irresponsible, always losing them. My dad, whom is actually my dad, buys them in bulk when they are on sale. There are a few coats.

二

I have an empty water bottle. It had Nestle PureLife water in it last night, when I got it from church. I wonder what the ad people at Nestle mean by PureLife. I wonder if the people at church get this water to help us lead pure lives (subliminally...?). This bottle isn't even mine, though. My friend took mine and dumped the water out and crushed it. She did that because I kept acting as a human fountain, beautifully arcing water onto her. She didn't find it as beautiful as I did.

I did tell her that she had to give me her bottle. I use one bottle all week and just refill it. By the end of the week I've usually ripped the English/Spanish bilingual label off. Also by the end of the week, I will throw it away. I figure mold or nasty germs will grow in there. I see them, all different pinks and greens and blues, flourishing on the inside of the bottle, creeping toward the top, into the lid, or congregating in the pools of water that I didn't drink up.

三

I have a HuanHuan key chain. HuanHuan is one of the five Beijing Olympic mascots, and he represents fire, ball sports, and the Olympic flame. HuanHuan is apparently an enthusiastic extrovert, quite unlike me in that “extrovert” aspect. His represented ideal is “passion”. I can do passion; I like to think of my self as a passionate person full of passion.

I'm not sure that I showed much compassion when I got HuanHuan and all his key chain mascot friends. I was vacationing in Beijing, and purchased them all in a fairly nice box for 20 RMB, which is a bit less than 3 USD. The seller's initial price was about 100 RMB ($14.6), but I bargained down. But the people in China are very poor. I wonder if that seller got much business, and I wonder if their family had enough to eat. Of course, they were in a nice part of Beijing where tourists come. I saw non-Chinese-speaking tourists drop $50 on something they could have gotten for $5, or less. Perhaps the vendor is driving BMW and sitting on 15 apartments (their investments), waiting to sell them.

*

(in this section i have to connect the above three objects)

************

What do you think? Does this come off as sarcastic or bitter at all, or what tone do you read in it? DO you see any connections between the three objects?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

find some way to connect the water bottle to a trip or experience you've had overseas. Then all three objects would have some significance relating to your life experiences. Or you could simply talk about the beauty in such simple objects. I feel like this is more of your current style and you would enjoy writing about it more, but it sort of skips around the assignment to relate the objects, since you could use beauty of simplicity for any small object. I think it would really neat though if you did manage to relate them all to your overseas experiences, or how they remind you of other countries. Maybe add more to the water bottle one, and talk about how all you drank in China was Tsingtao. Then you could relate all three objects to how much you have changed.
How they relate: Object 1: Umbrella: Owned since 2003, freshman in high school, Japan. talk about even though you've owned the umbrella many years and it is unchanged, you have changed.
Object 2: Water Bottle: You drink water for a more "pure life", rather than Tsingtao ;).
Object 3: HuanHuan: At the time you didn't care so much about the vendor, now you would consider this sort of thing (maybe?)
I dunno... perhaps it's a start

Angel Surdin said...

I really liked this piece:)

Kirsi said...

thanks! i really enjoyed writing it, too. i didn't think i would get much out of the prompt when i first heard it, so i was pleasantly surprised~~