Wednesday, July 23, 2008

mormons exposed. literally.

I heard about this calendar the other day from 104.9 - the River, the "kid-friendly and uplifting" radio station in Columbus, that likes to edit out guitar parts in Kutless and Jeremy Camp songs (terrible...). They said that it features returned Mormon missionaries minus their shirts, "in modest poses". Chad Hardy, the guy that made it and a lapsed Mormon, was excommunicated from the LDS church.

I'm not sure what I think about this. When I heard about it on the radio, I thought that it was inappropriate for kids. Now, I think it is half funny, and half bad, because I can't think of any reason that people put good-looking guys on a calendar with their shirts off besides to lust after them. And that's bad.

Chad Hardy said that he thought it would be a good way for younger people to talk to their friends about the Mormon faith, because it would break the very wholesome/stiffy/"we never do anything wrong"/more righteous than thou attitude that apparently makes people nervous about the faith. I can see where he is coming from with that, but I think he takes it in the wrong direction.

I have a book called "Mormonism Unmasked" that I am going to get around to reading eventually, but it's about Mormon beliefs, not half-naked pretty Mormon guys. :P

PS. The 2009 calendar comes out soon.

1 comment:

Angel Surdin said...

I agree. There are other ways of starting a dialogue. But there are only a few ways of getting press: good, bad, or otherwise.

For one of our graduate workshops we had to read Joe Mackall's Plain Secrets: An Outsider Among the Amish. It was pretty interesting. However, if it weren't for that class, I probably wouldn't have been interested in the book. And if a group of rogue Amish men decided to release a topless calendar? Well, I still probably wouldn't be interested.