I moved to North Carolina on Monday. Sarah, being awesome like she is, came with me so that the 12 hour drive (we stopped a few times and got lost for 1.5 hours) was pretty bearable! It was an interesting drive, mostly through small highways in the mountains. I only almost ran off the road once, which is surprising, because I kept getting distracted and looking at the pretty mountains and trees.
Tuesday I applied for two jobs, both at Italian/pizza restaurants. The seminary has an employment office and gave me a listing of places to apply at. I was going to apply to be a nanny with a few places and at a catering place, but yesterday, after I got lost and drove in a 5 mile circle (twice) looking for Wal-Mart, I got a call. The owner wanted to know if I could meet him for an interview in less than 20 minutes! Haha... Thankfully, I was close to the restaurant, and met him. It's a family restaurant in "downtown" Wake Forest. He must have thought that I could do the job because I started yesterday at 4!
I did go to Wal-Mart, to buy an air mattress. It's not really in my budget, but sleeping on the floor sucks. Anyhow, I bought a Wal-Mart brand mattress, and a Coleman pump, since they didn't have a twin sized Coleman mattress or a Wal-Mart brand pump. But the two don't work together! Serious suck. I don't really feel like driving around so maybe when I do I will get a different mattress. Oh well. At least when I actually buy a mattress, I will really appreciate it! I still don't know how I will get any furniture I buy here... Maybe somebody I work with or at church will have a truck! I could stand by their truck after church and wait for them to come to it and hit them up for some furniture transporting. Haha.
The restaurant seems pretty cool. I'm going to be a waitress. Yesterday I shadowed a waitress and watched the hostess and just tried to figure things out. I work again today and I'm pretty sure tomorrow... I hope that I will be able to remember the table numbers and who ordered what and stuff. @_@ The people there seem really great, too. Most of the waitresses and hostesses seem to be high school girls... They didn't believe that I wasn't their age. :( And another waitress that is a nice older woman thought I was a college freshman. Back to looking 15 I guess... >_<
Funny story: all the dishwashers are young guys. Apparently most of them (three) got fired last week, because instead of actually cleaning a bunch of dishes, they just threw them away. Yikes!
The pizza chef is a cool guy that is starting at seminary just like me! He was a pastor for a few years and before that he and his wife were missionaries in Mexico. He is really nice and fun to talk to and he recommended the church he attends to me. I was already planning on going to that church this week, but it's nice to already know someone that will be there! He says it is great and stuff so yay.
After work tonight I'm going to start reading "Blue Like Jazz"! Yay. I heard it's really sweet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment