Wednesday, August 20, 2008

some quotes from "apology"

Currently I am working through Tertullian's "Apology".

A quick bit about Tertullian:
-lived 155-222 AD
-apologist
-lived in Rome
-introduced the word "trinity" and the terms "new testament" and "old testament"
-apparently wrote in very difficult to understand Latin and I feel that the translator of my English version captured that perhaps too effectively.

This work is so far about the Romans' unfair treatment of Christians. In it he brings up the topic of abortion and this is best-worded description of abortion I've read:

"In our case, murder being once for all forbidden [in Roman law], we may not destroy even the foetus in the womb, while as yet the human being derives blood from other parts of the body for its sustenance. To hinder a birth is merely a speedier man-killing; nor does it matter whether you take away a life that is born, or destroy one that is coming to the birth. That is a man which is going to be one; you have the fruit already in its seed.

Then he goes on to talk about how the Romans are crazy for accusing the Christians of cannibalism when "the entrails of the very bears [that ate the gladiators and/or criminals], loaded with as yet undigested human viscera, are in great request".

Ew.

2 comments:

Jim said...

I like your new chair. A lot. Thanks for sending pictures today. The only thing is.... I want to sit in it now... hmmm

Kirsi said...

dude i thought you were going to talk to me about tertullian and i got all excited..