Tuesday, September 9, 2008

i wonder if this is true

I was talking to my friend the other day. He knows someone that was interviewing with the IMB to be a missionary. When pressed, the man admitted to having a sip of champagne a few years before at his sister's wedding. They told him this disqualified him for service with the IMB. When the man questioned that, and said "Jesus' turned water into wine," and even drank wine, the interviewer apparently replied "Jesus was not a Southern Baptist".

I hope this isn't true, for many reasons... mostly because

1) that seems to say to me that Southern Baptists are apparently more important than God and
2) I have had alcohol, including since I became a Christian (but not since I have come to seminary... I signed the covenant that says I won't and I will honor that). (I wonder if it was just that he had alcohol at all, or if he was a deacon or an elder at the time, or what. Because that could change things).


You can read Dr. Akin's (president of sebts) thoughts on alcohol here. I am one of those that "don't agree". He recently sent this out to us in a slightly different form. It kind of made me want to hit my head against the wall, but I understand where he is coming from. I wouldn't drink either if my future husband had that kind of experience.

No comments: