Tuesday, June 17, 2008

interesting teachers...

I am taking a class about censorship in theater. Today we were talking about the origins and history of censorship of theater (Plato's "The Republic"). Many times theater was censored because of moral objections to it, many times from Christians. My teacher was making some statements like "sex is bad," "well esau 'acted' when he tricked his father, so why is theater bad?" etc. Although some of the logic used by critics of theater was severely flawed (one guy whose name I cannot spell said: "well theater isn't in the Bible so obviously it is evil" [paraphrased]), some of the objections were pretty reasonable, like the church leaders not liking the bawdiness in the plays about Noah's ark and other Biblical stories.

In all, by the end of the class I felt attacked because it seemed like my teacher hated Christians and Christianity and Jesus. So I was sad.

After class I went and asked him if he hated Christianity or religion.

"No, no, I am a Christian and I love Jesus!"

Praise God!

He feels the same way I do; he is sad that some people pervert Christianity into things it is not. I was going to apologize on behalf of Christians that don't act like Christians and share the Gospel with him, but yeah.

It's nice to know that my teacher doesn't hate Christians!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You censored your post where you talked about censoring yourself!!!! !!! !